4 4 3 Beefalo:Updating SEP sesam
This article provides information on available update options and procedures that were introduced in 4.4.3 Beefalo and fine-tuned in 4.4.3 Beefalo V2. As updating SEP sesam is version-related, some of the described update options and procedures may not be available in earlier versions. If you are running a version ≤ 4.4.3 Grolar, see 4 4 3:Updating SEP sesam in earlier versions.
Once you have set up your SEP sesam environment, SEP sesam provides free updates from previous to new versions and features of SEP sesam within the maintenance period. During this period, you can download bug fixes, patches, service packs, and the latest SEP sesam version(s) if you have a valid license.
Manual and auto update
SEP sesam software update feature provides an easy way to control your updates. It can be used to either automatically or manually check for and install updates. The following options are available for updating SEP sesam software.
- You can set your preferred update mode in GUI Install/Update as explained in section Setting preferred update mode. Depending on your selected mode, the displayed status details and the options available from the right-click menu in the Topology or Clients view may vary, see below Checking update status.
- Alternatively, you can use the CLI sm_update_client command, as described in Updating SEP sesam Using CLI.
SEP sesam software update functionality is designed to check the SEP sesam versions currently in use against the latest versions available from SEP and propose updates when a newer version is available. The process can handle everything needed to update SEP sesam environment, including installing service packs for SEP sesam Server, SEP sesam Server UI update and clients update. The process of auto updating SEP sesam consist of the following:
- First, the index.txt file is checked to get the list of all available packages at SEP sesam repository.
- Depending on the selected update mode, SEP sesam packages may be downloaded and installed automatically or manually later by the administrator. Software packages can be downloaded from .
The index.txt contains the list of all available packages at SEP sesam Server. It is typically downloaded from
SESAM_VAR/work/packages. If you would like to manually update your clients with the packages that are stored locally, you have to provide the index.txt file to the update manager, as described in Use custom package. In case more than one package in the index.txt matches to a given client, the update routine will always take the last match in the file.
If you decide to stay with the manual updates, you can download and install the relevant Windows or Linux-specific distribution, as described in SEP sesam Quick Install Guide. For Linux systems, SEP provides special service pack (SP) executables that ease the installation of service packs and patches. Installing on Windows is easy; simply download the executable file for your version of SEP sesam and install it. On Linux, however, you must make the SP executable after downloading it. For details, see Applying Service Packs on Linux. SEP sesam software packages can be downloaded from .
Setting preferred update mode
You can set your update mode in SEP sesam menu bar -> Configuration -> Defaults -> click the tab Install/Update. The displayed status details and the options available from the right-click menu in the Topology or Clients depend on the selected update mode. By default, SEP sesam does not check, download and install updates.
The following options are available:
- Turn off (hide from all users)
- If selected, the install and update feature is not shown in the GUI. No install/update options are visible for any of the users, not even the administrator until this mode is switched on.
- Do not check or install automatically (default)
- If selected, updates are not checked, downloaded nor installed when a new version is available.
- Check automatically, but install manually
- If selected, updates are checked by using index.txt to get the list of all available packages, but you have to download and install them manually.
- Check, download and install automatically
- If selected, updates are automatically checked, downloaded and installed, based on SEP sesam NEWDAY, when a new version is available in the SEP Download Center. This option may not be recommended depending on the configuration of your SEP sesam environment and its activity.
Use custom SEP sesam package source
By selecting this option, you can update your SEP sesam Clients by using a SEP sesam custom package source which may be stored locally, on the network drive, or is available at specified URL. The advantage of using a custom package is that you have full control over the version that is getting installed.
For this, you have to browse for or specify the full path (a file system location) to the index.txt file for the specified custom package. How you specify the path depends on the file location and your OS, see examples below.
If index.txt does not yet exist, it is automatically created by your SEP sesam only considering files in the given directory (subdirectories are not considered). If the index.txt already exists, it will be left untouched by SEP sesam. You can also generate the file yourself locally to get the list of relative pathes of all available packages at your SEP sesam Server. To create the index.txt file, open the command prompt and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the packages to. Depending on your OS and the package location, run the following command:
cd C:\temp\sesam_download dir /B >index.txt
cd /tmp/sesam_download find . -name "*sesam*" -printf "%P %k %TY-%Tm-%Td %TH:%TM:%TM \n" >index.txt
Specifying path to the index file
- Package and index.txt are in the local directory, e.g., in the directory temp/sesam_download/index.txt. On Windows, you specify the path to the index file as:
OR on Linux
|You have to use the syntax file:, followed by /// or //// and then a path to the index file. On Windows, these first 3 forward slashes are mandatory, then also backslash is allowed. On Linux, specify the path with 4 forward slashes!|
OR on Linux: <linux_share>/users/admin/sesam/4.4.3_beta
|The latest index.txt file with all available packages at SEP sesam repository can be retrieved from the.|
Checking update status
You can enable the automatic check for updates in the Defaults -> Install/Update menu, or you can check manually with the right-click menu Check Update State. Note that the availability of the latter option depends on your selected update mode, see above Setting preferred update mode.
A message that the client is up to date is shown when there are no available updates (shown below in green frame). If an update is available, a yellow arrow will appear on the client (shown below in yellow frame). For details on client status icons, see Client status icons.
Performing mass update
You can simultaneously update all clients in the same location or decide to update only Linux or Windows clients that belong to the selected location. The mass update updates all existing clients according to your selected option (all, all Linux or all Windows) in the selected location except SEP sesam Server. For details on how to update the server, see section SEP sesam Server update.
For example, you may have a location that has both Windows and Linux clients and you want only the Linux clients to be updated, so you choose your target location, right-click it, and select Update all Linux Clients. The right-click update menu options are available in Topology and Clients view if your update mode is not set to Turn off (hide from all users); for details, see above Setting preferred update mode.
SEP sesam Server update
Exclusively for SEP sesam Server use there are two more options available: Install Service Pack and Install UI Server Service Pack (the latter is a GUI SP for server).
- SEP sesam service packs are cumulative and contain all released bug fixes for the corresponding SEP sesam version. SEP sesam sends notifications via RSS feeds to alert administrators to the important issues affecting your SEP sesam environment, such as availability of a service pack. These notifications can be checked in the Notification Center (top right corner in the GUI).
- Note that whenever the SEP sesam Server is updated, you also have to update the GUI client because the GUI client and the SEP sesam Server have to work with the same GUI.
You can easily check whether your update was successful by checking the log files or by checking the client status in the Topology or Clients view, if you have enabled either of the following two modes: Check automatically, but install manually or Check, download and install automatically (see above Setting preferred update mode).
If you have selected the Turn off update mode and you want to check if the update was successful, proceed as follows:
- Check the connection between a GUI client and SEP sesam Server. The connection should work.
- Open the SEP sesam GUI and from the menu bar select Help -> About SEP sesam. Both, SEP sesam GUI client and SEP sesam GUI Server must have the same build versions.