Creating a Backup Task
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2019. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
A backup task defines which files are backed up and which data should be excluded from backup. Creating a task is the first step of the standard backup procedure. Once you created a task, create a schedule to specify when you want to back up your data. In the third step you will create a backup event by selecting where to back up your data to and how.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By clients, select your client and click New backup task. The New backup task window opens.
- Use the browse button to specify the Source and select what you want to back up. If you want to back up individual files, you can either browse for directories and files that you want to include in the backup or enter their names followed by a comma (C:/Program Files/SEPsesam/var/db,C:\Users\AA\Documents\references). Typically, if you select the source by browsing, the task type and task name are set automatically. A few special task types are rare exceptions and thus require a manual selection of the relevant type and specifying the task name.
- Optionally, specify the filenames or patterns which you do not want to back up in the Exclude list. For details on various exclude options, see Creating Exclude List.
Tip If the number of files or directories you want to include for backup exceeds allowed length for task source (max. 1024 characters), you can create a separate file that contains a list of selected sources by using Additional call arguments (see step 5).
- Optionally, edit the assigned Task name. You can give your task a meaningful or descriptive name (max. 15 letters) that clearly identifies it, for example diagnostix_all for a backup of your client named diagnostix.
- Optionally, click the Options tab if you want to specify additional backup or restore options.
- You can enable the pre/post backup or restore commands.
- Under the Additional call arguments, you can specify additional backup or restore options. For example, in the Backup options field (previously Save options), you can enter the list of items to be backed up by using the following command:
|To use a configurable pre/post interface, you have to activate it first and create your own commands. Interfaces can be activated in GUI: in the menu bar, click Configuration -> Interfaces -> select the interface you want to activate and the client. The interface script window opens, allowing you to configure the desired action. Once done, click Save to activate the interface. The interface is saved to the |
where <list_source> is a separate file that contains a list of selected sources to be backed up. For details, see -f command usage.
|Optionally, you can assign individual tasks to a task group and then trigger the start of all tasks belonging to that group with a single event. For details, see Adding a Task to the Task Group.|
Up to SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Grolar, it was only possible to deactivate a schedule. As of SEP sesam v. 4.4.3 Grolar, it is also possible to disable a particular task or a whole task group without deleting it permanently and without cancelling all other events related to the same schedule. For details, see Disabling and Enabling Backup Task and Disabling and Enabling Task Group.