This article describes prerequisites and configuration requirements for SEP sesam integration with Hyper-V. Note that the procedures introduced in this article are only the required configuration steps. For details on backup configuration, see Hyper-V Backup.
- Hyper-V Server 2016/2019 or Hyper-V Server 2012/R2. Check the SEP sesam Hyper-V support matrix.
- SEP sesam Client version ≥ 4.4.3. Beefalo. Note that it is recommended to upgrade the SEP sesam Server and Client to the latest version during the regular upgrade process. For details, see Updating SEP sesam.
- Working name resolution for Hyper-V nodes and the Hyper-V resource (for Hyper-V cluster).
- SEP sesam backup client package must be installed on a Hyper-V standalone server or, in case of a Hyper-V cluster, on each node in the cluster. See section Automatically installing SEP sesam Client on all Hyper-V cluster nodes.
- For each Hyper-V node in the cluster, make sure that the SEP sesam service is running with the rights of an Active Directory (AD) user with domain administrator role (for Hyper-V cluster).
Configuring a Hyper-V standalone server or cluster as a SEP sesam Client
To protect your Hyper-V virtual machines, you must configure the Hyper-V server (for Hyper-V standalone server) or Hyper-V resource (not the physical Hyper-V nodes for Hyper-V cluster) as a SEP sesam Client. For more details on all available options, see Configuring Clients.
This section contains version-specific steps that you should follow.
- From Main Selection -> Components -> Topology, select the relevant location (e.g., Virtualization/Hyper-V) and click New Client. The New Client window opens.
- Enter the name of the Hyper-V server/resource.
- From the Platform drop-down list, select Windows. By selecting the Platform the operating system is set automatically.
- As of v. ≥ 5.0.0 Jaglion, you first have to select the Virtualization server option. Then from the VM server type drop-down list, select Hyper-V-Server (for Hyper-V standalone server) or Hyper-V-Cluster.
- In v. ≤ 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, from the VM server type drop-down list, select Hyper-V-Server (for Hyper-V standalone server) or Hyper-V-Cluster.
- Choose the Access mode for the SEP sesam Server-Client communication (the default setting is SMSSH).
- Enter the credentials as an administrator to access the respective systems under the OS Access tab. Use DOMAIN\USER format for domain accounts or HOST\USER for local accounts.
- Click OK to add the new client.
|Specifying OS is especially important when configuring a client for Hyper-V cluster. If they are not set, the Hyper-V client update will fail, as described in the section Updating Hyper -V cluster client.|
Automatically installing SEP sesam Client on all Hyper-V cluster nodes (Windows only)
Automatic installation of the SEP sesam Client on all Hyper-V cluster nodes is available for Windows SEP sesam Server only. If you are using a Linux SEP sesam Server, you have to manually install the SEP sesam Clients on the Hyper-V nodes.
- Copy the client installation package sesam-cli-4.4.3.XX-windows.x64.exe to the
<SEPsesam>\var\work\packagesfolder on the SEP sesam Server.
- Open the Command Prompt in your Windows SEP sesam Server as an administrator: Type cmd into search, right-click the displayed Command Prompt option and select Run as administrator.
- Once the Administrator: Command Prompt window is opened, use the following command to install the SEP sesam client onto the Hyper-V cores. Note that the inserted [domain\]user must be a domain administrator with access to all Hyper-V nodes. sm_config_client -I cli -c <clientname> -u <[domain\]user> -p <password> Example cd "C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam" sm_config_client -I cli -c HyperVresource -u SEP\mm -p supersecret
The SEP sesam Client is installed on each Hyper-V core. If the Hyper-V cluster has four Hyper-V cores, the SEP sesam Client will be installed on all four Hyper-V cores. The Hyper-V nodes will be added to the same location as your Hyper-V resource as additional SEP sesam Clients with the state locked for backups (no licence required). To have all your data protected, do not delete the clients.
Once your Hyper-V standalone server or cluster is added as a SEP sesam Client, create backup tasks for each VM, as described in Hyper-V Backup.
|With v. 5.0.0 Jaglion, you can simplify the backup of multiple VMs by automatically creating tasks for VMs that are connected to the same host; you can also automatically create clients for VMs to which the created tasks and ACLs can be assigned. It is recommended to use these features when a new hypervisor is added and many new VMs need to be backed up. For details, see Automating Backup Process.|
Updating Hyper-V cluster client
When the Hyper-V cluster client is updated (by right-clicking the client in the Clients window and selecting Update Client), all cluster nodes within the Hyper-V cluster resource are automatically updated.
Before you update a Hyper-V cluster client, ensure that the OS credentials are specified for that client. This allows the Hyper-V cluster resource to automatically update all cluster nodes within the Hyper-V cluster. Otherwise, the update fails and an error is displayed in the Topology -> Update State column.
If not already specified when configuring the Hyper-V cluster client, you can specify the credentials at any time in the client properties; double-click the Hyper-V cluster client to open its properties, switch to the OS Access tab, and specify the required credentials.