4 4 3 Tigon:OpenNebula Backup
SEP sesam provides efficient data protection for virtual machines (VMs) running in OpenNebula environments. Supported are OpenNebula 5.2.1 with DRBD backend. By using the SEP Sesam OpenNebula module, you can benefit from online backup of your virtual machines including configuration.
SEP sesam OpenNebula integration advantages
- Live FULL backup of persistent OpenNebula virtual machines via snapshot.
- Backup of virtual machine configuration.
- Simple restore of complete OpenNebula virtual machines and single file restore of files, folders, and volumes from the OpenNebula VM backup (v. ≥ 4.4.3 Beefalo V2). For details, see OpenNebula Restore.
SEP sesam requirements
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported OpenNebula versions.
- SEP sesam Server v. 4.4.3 Tigon or higher. Check Hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server.
- Install the SEP sesam Client package on the OpenNebula control server that runs the oned daemon (OpenNebula backup module is already included in the client package). You can download it from . For details, see SEP Sesam Quick Install Guide.
- SEP sesam OpenNebula backup module requires a license. For details, see Licensing.
OpenNebula environment requirements
SEP sesam backup module for OpenNebula utilizes the standard OpenNebula toolset. It expects the OpenNebula virtual machines to be manageable using the standard onevm and oneimage tools. It also expects the VMs to be hosted upon central storage within the ONE cluster environment, preferably using the DRBD backend.
- Snapshot for the virtual machines image file is created using OpenNebula snapshot tools.
- Virtual machine disks are backed up on block level.
- Virtual machine config is backed up.
- Snapshot is deleted.
Adding the OpenNebula client to SEP sesam environment
Once you have downloaded the SEP sesam package, configure your OpenNebula as a client by adding it to the SEP sesam environment. From Main selection -> Components -> Topology -> New Client -> add your OpenNebula client. For details, see Configuring Clients.
|Before proceeding, you should validate that you can backup to SEP sesam. Run a test Path backup manually to ensure that the backups work. For details on typical backup configuration, see Standard Backup Procedure.|
Configuring OpenNebula backup task
Configuring an OpenNebula backup on a SEP sesam Server involves creating an OpenNebula backup task, setting up a backup schedule (specifying when you want to back up your data) and linking the schedule to a backup event (specifying how to back up the data and where to back it up to). For general details on backup configuration and prerequisites, see Standard Backup Procedure. However, configuring an OpenNebula backup differs slightly from the standard procedure and requires some OpenNebula-specific steps, which are described below.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By Clients, select OpenNebula client and click New Backup Task. The New Backup Task window opens.
- Select the Source. Click the Browse button (big arrow) and select the OpenNebula virtual machine that you want to back up from the listed virtual machines detected on the host system.
- If you want to define other options (such as pre/post backup and restore commands, set encryption or compress data (do not use this option if you want to restore a single file!), set credentials for OS access, consolidate individual tasks under a specific task group, assign a task to the schedule), click the corresponding tabs in the New Backup Task window.
Click OK to create the task.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate Start. If you want to create a periodic backup, you have to create a schedule for your backup task: Click New Schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules and set up a schedule. For more details, see Creating a schedule.
- Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it. For general information on creating a backup event, see Creating a backup event. Note that only FULL or COPY backups of OpenNebula virtual machines are supported.
By selecting the source, the task type and task name are set automatically.
|You can also add your backup task to an existing schedule by double-clicking the backup task, selecting the tab Schedules and adding it to one or more schedules. Additionally, you can group your backup tasks to task groups. For details, see Adding a Task to the Task Group.|
You can view the status of your backup jobs by selecting Last Backup State in the Main Selection window. The backup status overview provides detailed information on the last run of backup jobs, including the task name, start and stop time of the last backup, backup level, data size, throughput, assigned media pool, etc.
|As of 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, you can check the details of your backups online by using new Web UI. For details, see SEP sesam Web UI.|