The SEP sesam graphical user interface (GUI) provides centralized administration and easy access to configuration and management of SEP sesam and its environment. SEP sesam GUI is platform independent – it is based on Java and requires a Java Runtime Environment. For details on the required Java version and installation, see Java Compatibility Matrix and Installing and Managing Java.
The SEP sesam GUI has been redesigned with additional features to improve usability and provide better access to SEP sesam objects. It provides built-in filtering with different filter types to facilitate searching for specific content items (task, client, data store, etc.). The GUI icons have also been redesigned. For details, see SEP sesam Icons Legend.
If the SEP sesam environment consists of multiple SEP sesam Servers, a powerful master GUI is used to manage them. The master GUI enables the administrators to use multiple GUIs and manage local and remote sites from a single console. For details, see Master GUI.
- Administrators can access backup savesets from the main backup server as well as from any authorized desktop, laptop, or workstation.
- Administrators can back up or restore data from locally attached storage, via WAN or from the cloud.
- Administrators can manage multiple SEP sesam Servers by using the master GUI.
- The GUI can be easily customized to individual needs, as described in the section Managing GUI.
- Authorized users can monitor SEP sesam operations online via Web UI or perform online restores via the Restore Assistant.
- In v. ≥ 5.0.0 Jaglion, the operations and options available after login may vary depending on the user type. See Available interface options according to user type. Further restrictions on the GUI display may depend on user-defined roles with specific permissions and the UI mode, as described in the section below.
|When running the SEP sesam GUI as administrator, the new SEP sesam Web UI landing page opens by default (with access to the Web UI, links to documentation, etc.). To prevent it from opening automatically when SEP sesam GUI is started, in the GUI menu bar -> Configuration -> Defaults -> General tab, clear the check box Show SEP sesam web client landing page on startup.|
The main GUI screen consists of the following toolbars and panes:
- Toolbar: The toolbar options allow you to start tasks directly, get an instant status overview, etc. The following options are available: Dashboard, Immediate start: Backup, Restore assistant (opens the online Restore Assistant in the external web browser), Restore Wizard, Backups (index of backups by status), Calendar Sheet, and About SEP sesam (SEP sesam version information).
- Navigation pane: The navigation pane is located on the left side of the GUI window and called Main Selection. It allows you to navigate through the components of the SEP sesam system.
- Properties pane: The properties pane, located on the right side of the GUI window, shows the properties of the object selected in the Content pane.
- Filter pane: The filter pane on the right side of the GUI window allows you to quickly find the relevant objects.
- Activities display: The activities display is located at the bottom of the GUI and shows the messages and log file protocols for the selected drives or activities. The section output displays registers for the Current messages and Performance.
For details on the GUI components, see SEP sesam GUI Overview.
SEP sesam features a GUI that offers various ways to customise the appearance of the GUI, e.g., by changing fonts, view and layout of GUI elements, selecting the appropriate GUI mode, setting up authentication, updating the GUI client, and changing the language.
The Content pane offers the Search field, which allows you to search for and filter displayed objects step by step. The search starts as soon as you enter the first character of the search term and displays only the matching items. When the search is not used, the normal view with all objects is displayed.
SEP sesam provides quick access to several functions and objects from the context menu, triggered with a right-click.
Customizing GUI layout
SEP sesam allows you to adjust the layout of the GUI window by undocking, repositioning and rescaling individual areas of the main GUI window, including toolbars. You can save and manage layouts by selecting Window -> Manage layouts from the menu bar. For details, see Customizing GUI.
Rearranged GUI layout
Selecting UI mode
Under Configuration -> Defaults -> General, you can select the appropriate UI mode: simple or advanced. (The former advanced GUI mode is now replaced by simple mode, while the former expert mode is replaced by advanced mode.) The appearance of the user interface does not change depending on the mode, but simple mode hides complex features and shows the user only a basic subset of options. Advanced mode provides all the features of SEP sesam, such as expert restore options, log level setting, etc. You can switch between the modes at any time.
Selecting restore interface
Under Configuration -> Defaults -> General, you can select the restore interfaces that are available for restore and displayed in the context menu and toolbar (as of ≥ 5.0.0 Jaglion V2). It is recommended to use the web-based Restore Assistant instead of the Legacy restore (deprecated) option, which refers to the GUI restore wizard. Compared to the GUI restore wizard, the online Restore Assistant provides some additional advanced restore options and allows you to restore your data from anywhere with the appropriate permissions. You can also keep both interfaces available by selecting Display both possibilities.
Changing view in GUI content pane
SEP sesam provides an additional View Mode button that allows you to switch between the table view and the tree view and to group the same elements in one item.
- Tree view: SEP sesam default view shows the status of the individual elements grouped in a hierarchical view.
- Table view: A simple flat view shows the status of the individual elements one by one.
Changing GUI font and tables
Under Configuration -> Defaults -> Fonts and Tables, you can change the default GUI font, font style and/or size. You can also change the proportional (default) font to a non-proportional (monospaced) font and adjust the appearance of GUI tables. For details, see Configuration: Fonts and tables.
|If you change the default GUI font, the GUI may not display properly after the update. In this case, you have to reset the GUI to SEP sesam default. For details, see GUI Troubleshooting.|
Updating GUI client automatically
You can automatically update SEP sesam GUI client when a new version is available in the Updating SEP sesam.. By default, SEP sesam checks for updates automatically and updates its database accordingly without automatically installing the update. You can set the Update mode to either install updates automatically, download updates automatically but install manually, or disable the automatic download and installation of updates. For details, see
Configuring GUI for secure communication
You can activate database-based authentication in the GUI to grant and restrict access to SEP sesam Server, specific clients and locations. You can also configure SEP sesam to use LDAP/AD authentication in combination with database-based authentication. This allows SEP sesam to authenticate users against an external LDAP/AD directory. By default, policy-based authentication is active. For details, see Configuring Database-Based Authentication.
Changing GUI language
The GUI currently supports English and German. You can change the language by adjusting the -r parameter of the GUI client as follows:
- Right-click your GUI desktop icon -> select Properties and then change the GUI language by modifying the -r parameter at the end of the target path from -ren (English) to -rde (German) (or vice versa).
Checking the GUI client/server version
SEP sesam GUI Client and SEP sesam GUI Server must have the same build versions. You can check the GUI Client/Server version by clicking the question mark icon in the toolbar or by selecting About SEP sesam from the menu bar -> Help.
Online dashboard (Web UI)
You can access the dashboard from menu bar -> Activities -> Dashboard, from Main Selection -> Monitoring -> Dashboard, or by clicking the dashboard icon in the toolbar. For details, see SEP sesam Web UI.
SEP sesam Dashboard is part of SEP sesam Web UI, a comprehensive tool that allows access to SEP sesam to remote clients and provides a great visual overview and real-time monitoring of SEP sesam performance and its entire environment. It provides log management and allows SEP sesam admin to restrict users to tasks they can perform according to their role when logged in. Users can restore their own data online using the Restore Assistant, monitor SEP sesam operations and check their status, restart failed backups and much more. The Web UI is configured to work over your HTTP or HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure). For details, see SEP sesam Web UI.
By clicking the Restore Assistant icon in the toolbar or by selecting Activities -> Restore Assistant, all authenticated users who have been granted appropriate permissions can access the restore assistant to perform an online restore of data. For details, see Restore Assistant.