4 4 3 Beefalo:SEP sesam GUI
- 1 Overview
- 2 GUI components
- 3 Managing GUI
- 3.1 Using search and context menus
- 3.2 Customizing GUI layout
- 3.3 Updating GUI client automatically
- 3.4 Configuring GUI for secure communication
- 3.5 Changing GUI language
- 3.6 Checking GUI client/server version
- 4 Online dashboard
- 5 Restoring online
- 6 See also
The SEP sesam graphical user interface (GUI) provides centralized administration and easy access to configuration and management of SEP sesam and its environment. SEP sesam GUI is platform independent – it is based on Java and requires a Java Runtime Environment. For details on the required Java version and installation, see Java Compatibility Matrix and Installing and Managing Java.
With version 4.4.3 Beefalo, the SEP sesam GUI has been redesigned with additional functionality to improve usability and provide better access to SEP sesam objects. It offers integrated filtering with different filter types that ease the search for specific content items (task, client, data store, etc.). GUI icons have also been redesigned and additional icons and symbols have been added. For details, see SEP sesam Icons Legend.
If the SEP sesam environment consist of more SEP sesam Servers, a powerful Master GUI is used to manage them. Master GUI enables the administrators to utilize multiple GUIs and manage local and remote locations from a single console. For details, see Master GUI.
- Administrators can access backup savesets from the main backup server as well as from any authorized desktop, laptop, or workstation.
- Administrators can back up or restore data from locally attached storage, across the WAN or from the cloud.
- Administrators can manage multiple SEP sesam Servers by using Master GUI.
- GUI can be easily managed and customized according to individual needs, as described in the section Managing GUI.
- Authorized users can monitor SEP sesam operations online by using web dashboard or perform the restores online by using the restore assistant.
The main GUI screen consists of the following toolbars and panes:
- Toolbar: By using the toolbar options you can start the tasks directly, instantly get the status overview, etc. The following options are available: Dashboard, Immediate start: Backup, Restore assistant (opens the online restore assistant in the external web browser), Restore Wizard, Backups (index of backups by status), Calendar Sheet, and About SEP sesam (SEP sesam version information).
- Navigation pane: The navigation pane is located on the left side of the GUI window and called Main Selection. It allows you to navigate through the components of the SEP sesam system.
- Properties pane: The properties pane, located on the right side of the GUI window, shows the properties of the object selected in the Content pane.
- Filter pane: The filter pane, located on the right side of the GUI window, enables you to quickly find the relevant objects.
- Activities display: The activities display is located at the bottom of the GUI and shows the messages and log file protocols for the selected drives or activities. Section output displays registers for the Current messages and Performance.
For details on GUI components, see SEP sesam GUI Overview.
SEP sesam features a GUI that provides several ways to customize GUI look and feel, e.g., by changing the fonts, view and layout of GUI elements, select appropriate GUI mode, set up authentication, update GUI client, and change the language.
The Content pane provides the Search field, enabling you to progressively search for and filter through displayed objects. It begins searching as soon as you type the first character of the search string and displays only the matching items. When the search is not used, the usual view with all the objects is shown.
SEP sesam provides quick access to several functions and objects from the context menu, triggered with a right-click.
Customizing GUI layout
SEP sesam allows you to adjust the layout of the GUI window by undocking, repositioning and rescaling the individual panes of the main GUI window, including the toolbars. You can save and manage layouts by selecting Window from the menu bar -> Manage layouts. For details, see Customizing GUI.
Rearranged GUI layout
Selecting UI mode
Under the Configuration -> Defaults -> General tab, you can select the relevant UI mode; Basic, Advanced or Expert. A basic, advanced and expert mode share the same representation, however, in basic mode some features are not available, for example, advanced restore options, setting log level, etc. For details, see UI Mode.
Changing view in GUI content pane
SEP sesam provides additional View Mode button that enables you to switch between the table and tree view and group the same elements in one item.
- Tree view: SEP sesam default view shows the status of individual elements grouped together in a hierarchical view.
- Table view: A simple flat view that shows the status of individual elements one after another.
Changing GUI font and tables
Under the Configuration -> Defaults -> Fonts and Tables, you can change the default GUI font, font style and/or size. You can also change the proportional (default) font to non-proportional (monospaced) and customize the appearance of GUI tables. For details, see Configuration: Fonts and tables.
|If you change the default GUI font, the GUI might not display properly after update. In this case you have to reset GUI to SEP sesam default. For details, see GUI Troubleshooting.|
Updating GUI client automatically
You can automatically update SEP sesam GUI client when a new version is available in the Updating GUI client.. By default, SEP sesam checks for updates automatically and updates its database accordingly without automatically installing the update. You can set the Update mode either to automatically install updates, to download automatically but install manually, or to disable automatic download and installation of updates. For details, see
Configuring GUI for secure communication
You can activate database-based authentication in the GUI to grant and restrict access to SEP sesam Server, specific clients and locations. You can also configure SEP sesam to use LDAP/AD authentication in combination with database-based authentication. This way SEP sesam can authenticate users against an external LDAP/AD directory. By default, policy-based authentication is active. For details, see Configuring Database-Based Authentication.
Changing GUI language
The GUI currently supports English and German language. You can change the language by adjusting the parameter -r of the GUI client in the following ways:
- By right-clicking on your GUI desktop icon and selecting Properties, you can change the GUI language from en to de (or vice versa) at the end of the target path.
- By adjusting the parameter -r of the GUI client, as described in the FAQ.
Checking GUI client/server version
SEP sesam GUI client and SEP sesam GUI server must have the same build versions. You can check the GUI client/server version by clicking the question mark icon in the toolbar or by selecting About SEP sesam from the menu bar -> Help.
SEP sesam allows you to handily check the state of SEP sesam Servers by using its web dashboard. SEP sesam Dashboard is an easy-to-use online monitoring tool that constantly tracks SEP sesam operations and their state and provides key metrics of your backup environment.
You can access the dashboard by clicking the dashboard icon in the toolbar or by selecting Main Selection -> Monitoring -> Dashboard. For details, see SEP sesam Dashboard.
By clicking the Restore Assistant icon in the toolbar or by selecting Activities -> Restore Assistant, all authenticated users that have been granted appropriate permissions can access the restore assistant to perform an online restore of data from regular Path backups, NDMP and NSS file system Path backups, emails from Kopano backups and virtual machines (VMs). For details, see Restore Assistant.