4 4 3 Beefalo:Access Modes
Access mode defines the communication method and access type between SEP sesam Client and the SEP sesam Server. You select the access mode when configuring a new client, as shown in the section below Selecting access mode.
Depending on the SEP sesam version, the following access modes are available:
- CTRL: Access mode, which was the default mode in older versions of SEP sesam.
- SMSSH: Current default access mode. SEP sesam SSH-based control communication. SSL libraries include libmicrohttpd, libcurl, and libopenssl. See also FAQ: access permissions.
- PROXY: Access mode for a hypervisor or other systems without an installed backup client. The data transfer is executed via vendor specific protocols and the client is accessed via the mandatory data mover. For details, see What is a SEP sesam data mover. The following protocols are supported: vSphere (vCenter Server), Citrix Xen Server, Nutanix, NetApp, NDMP and Novell SMS for NetWare 5.1/6.0/6.5.
- VIRTUAL: Access mode for a virtual machine (VM) without an installed backup client, where there is no direct remote access to this VM. Note that VIRTUAL access mode is similar to PROXY, but is specifically intended for managing VMs as clients by allowing configuration of ACLs for VMs. This means that the administrator can allow explicit restore access to a virtual client while preventing access to the hypervisor server. For details on how to configure permissions (ACLs) for clients, see Using Access Control Lists.
- SSH: This communication mode is based on a key-pair operation of the SSH implementation of the operating system used.
- RSH: Remote Shell; this option is deprecated and rarely used.
Selecting access mode
You have to select the access mode when configuring a new client, as shown in the screenshot below.
|In v. 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, the Access mode was only available if you used the user interface in advanced or expert UI mode (see Selecting UI mode). With 5.0.0 Jaglion V2, the Access mode is visible regardless of the UI mode.|
From Main selection -> Components -> Topology -> New Client -> select relevant Access mode from the drop-down list. For example, if you want to add an NDMP host as a SEP sesam Client, you have to select the PROXY access mode for SEP sesam server-client communication. By default, the SMSSH access mode is selected.