SAP HANA Troubleshooting
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2020. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
- 1 SAP HANA
- 1.1 After initial configuration the first test backup out of the HANA Studio shows errors
- 1.2 Not enough streams for SAP HANA external backups
- 1.3 SAP HANA backups are not started anymore
- 1.4 Backup finished with error 
- 1.5 SAP HANA backup failure – analyze log files for cause
- 1.6 Job status displays multiple running jobs
- 1.7 Log backups running too frequent
- 1.8 After recovery the hardware key changed
- 2 See also
After initial configuration the first test backup out of the HANA Studio shows errors
- Once you configured SAP HANA to work with SEP sesam and start the first test backup, it finishes with errors.
- There might be an issue with case sensitive file paths, written in the
- Open the
/var/opt/sesam/var/ini/backint_saphana.utlfiles and make sure that the directory names are listed in the appropriate case (lower case or upper case respectively).
Not enough streams for SAP HANA external backups
- SAP HANA external backups can no longer be performed due to the following error:
2018-07-26 08:04:35 W007-SBC_COM[ 6664]: Timeout reached, drive group HANA has no free streams anymore
- There are not enough streams available to run SAP HANA external backups.
- In the data store properties, check the available streams per drive (by default, 5) and adjust them to 20.
SAP HANA backups are not started anymore
- After a while SAP HANA backups are not starting.
- Connect to the SAP HANA server and stop the client:
- /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/sm_main stop
- ps –ef | grep sm_sbc*
- Search for old sm_sbc* services and kill these services.
- Start the SEP sesam Client again with the command /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/sm_main start.
Backup finished with error 
- Backup failed with error.
YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS+00:00 P11252 1480e025c70 ERROR BACKUP SAVE DATA finished with error:  backup could not be completed,  Backint exited with exit code 1, Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/sesam/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in <module> File "backint_saphana.py", line 124, in <module> File "sm_common.py", line 55, in __init__ IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/opt/sesam/var/log/lgc/sbc_backint_NOT DEFINED.log'
- The hdbbackint does not have the permissions to write to the logging directory.
chmod 755 (directory)to fix the issue.
SAP HANA backup failure – analyze log files for cause
- Backup was unsuccessful and is shown with a red dot in either the SAP HANA Studio or the SEP sesam GUI.
- Go to /var/opt/sesam/var/log/lgc and search for the hdbbackint_SID.log or hdbbackint_SID_log.log. These logs contain the logging information for the data connections to the SEP sesam Server and Remote Device Server (if used). On the SEP sesam Server/RDS, <sesam_install>/var/log/sms will contain stpd_pid.log and stpd_pid.com.log files with the server-side logging information. Additional log information on the SEP sesam Server can also be found in <sesam_install>/var/log/lgc in sm_sbc_com*.log files.
Job status displays multiple running jobs
- Even though only a single backup or restore is running, multiple jobs are displayed in the Job Status view of the SEP sesam GUI.
- This is the usual behaviour. When performing a backup, HANA bundles the data to be saved into a few separate save sets and sends them to the SEP sesam device server. Therefore, multiple jobs will be displayed in the job status. The same in reverse applies to restores.
Log backups running too frequent
- Log backups are processed every 15 minutes. The time among log backups should be extended.
- Open the backup configuration in the SAP HANA Studio. On the right, there is a box where the interval can be adjusted. But be careful: The log area will grow bigger. If the log area is full, the database will stop performing transactions!
After recovery the hardware key changed
- After a bare metal recovery or full recovery, the hardware key is changed and the license is dropped.
- This is a known issue which can occur even if there is no change in the hardware and hostname with the same configuration: re-installation, restore, recovery, or rename will change the hardware key. Please contact SAP support. For details, see Hardware Key for the HANA Database.