Release Notes 5.0.0 Jaglion V2
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2022. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
SEP sesam 220.127.116.11 Jaglion V2
Updated: June 30, 2022
- SEP sesam version 18.104.22.168 Jaglion V2 is a feature, improvement, and bug fix release. Download 22.214.171.124 Jaglion V2 from .
- SP1 was released together with Jaglion V2. Service Pack 1 v. 126.96.36.199 SP1 is an improvement and bug fix release. Download 188.8.131.52 Jaglion V2 SP1.
This article contains important information about the two latest releases, Jaglion V2 and Service Pack 1 (SP1). It describes new features and new supported systems in Jaglion V2, installation, upgrades, and requirements, and includes a list of fixes included in Jaglion V2 and SP1.
SEP Immutable Storage or SiS is a file storage feature resistant to ransomware attacks, based on Si3 NG on Linux. Even with full admin access to the SEP sesam backup server, attackers cannot delete, modify, or encrypt data stored on SiS. See more.
Backup your data directly to Azure Blob storage and restore the items you want directly from there with Si3 NG. See more.
Si3 NG encryption protects your data from unauthorized access and helps ensure compliance. See more.
Si3 NG boasts excellent performance and support for different storage locations. It requires a valid license. See more.
SEP sesam Community Edition
SEP sesam now offers a community edition. For more information, please contact SEP sesam sales.
- Enforced FULL level backup if the backup was successful (on the client), but errors occurred during post-processing on the server side.
- The new RHV option -a use_virtioscsi allows disk attachment to data mover via bus type VIRTIO_SCSI, default is VIRTIO.
- RHV restore with overwrite now possible.
- Fixed failed Oracle restore on older systems in combination with newer SEP sesam Server version.
- Restore Assistant (web)
- Additional task types are supported: NetIQ/Micro Focus eDirectory, Micro Focus iFolder, PostgreSQL and MySQL. You can perform a regular restore or write your backups to dump files (equivalent to the GUI option Write saveset into file). For more information, see Restore Assistant.
- Many usability improvements and new options: Restore ACLs only option added, restore task name can be changed, link to install guestfs tools added, improved messages when a backup cannot be mounted, preferred media pool can be selected as a mount option, and improved vSphere VMDK selection with clearer use cases.
- Si3 NG
|The old generation Si3 deduplication store is deprecated. This means that the old generation Si3 is no longer being enhanced, but is still supported until further notice. SEP strongly recommends using the new Si3 NG data store instead, especially if the data is to be stored to S3 Cloud.
- Now you can configure the maximum number of Si3 NG/Si3 deduplication stores on RDS. Note that this settings is only visible in Advanced UI mode.
- Improved security for encrypted Si3 NG store. The encryption password is no longer written to the INI file.
- Corrected check of used space by SEP sesam for Si3 NG stores using S3 or Azure storage backend.
- See also information on license.
- Certificate-based authentication
Now it is possible to also authenticate the users from external authentication sources (LDAP/AD) via a signed certificate (note that a database-based authentication must be enabled). For details, see Configuring Certificate-Based Authentication.
- Automatic exclude for Windows Defender on Windows RDS
- All data store-based paths (data store, Si3, Si3 NG) are automatically added to Windows Defender's exclusion criteria. This can help improve performance because these special folders are no longer scanned by Windows Defender.
Enhancements in SP1
- Regex exclude files and directories
- You can now use separate excludes for files and directories. If exclude ends with a trailing slash "/$" (e.g. .tmp/$), it is recognized as a regex for directory exclusion. If there is no trailing slash "/" (e.g. .tmp) at the end, it is recognized as a regex for file exclusion. For details, see Exclude with Regular Expressions.
- SEP sesam now includes full support for LTO-9 drives. See also Drives.
While the look of the user interface has not changed significantly, we have made some subtle improvements to enhance the user experience. For example:
- UI Modes
- We have reduced the number of available UI modes (in the GUI) to two, so they are synchronized with the Web UI. You can select the appropriate UI mode: simple or advanced, under Configuration - > Defaults - > General. (The former advanced GUI mode is now replaced by simple mode, while the former expert mode is replaced by advanced.) See Selecting UI mode.
- Enhanced Drive dialog
- When creating a new drive in the New Drive dialog for the drive type "DISK _STORE" new settings are available. This allows you to split channels according to priority and ensure that higher priority jobs get preference. For details on priorities, see Setting Event Priorities.
- Restore interfaces
- You can select the Restore mode (restore interfaces) that are available for restore and displayed in the context menu. It is recommended to use the web-based Restore Assistant instead of the Legacy restore (deprecated) option, which refers to the GUI restore wizard. See Selecting restore interface.
SEP sesam software requires a valid license. For more information, see Licensing.
- Version 184.108.40.206 introduces a check for the Si3 NG capacity so after an update from version Jaglion (5.0.0.) to a new version the licensed deduplication storage may no longer be sufficient. This only affects customers who are already using Si3 NG deduplication store.
- This license check does not affect customers with SEP sesam Volume License that does not count the backup storage.
- License violation leads to 15 days remaining run time, during which the license issue must be fixed in either of two ways:
New supported systems and integrations
- Windows 11
- SEP sesam Server 220.127.116.11 Jaglion V2 supports Windows 11 (without BSR Windows Disaster Recovery).
- BSR Windows Disaster Recovery for Windows 11 is planned to be fully supported with SP2 for Jaglion V2.
- Expanded support for S3 compatible storage
- SEP sesam supports S3 as a generic interface based on the new deduplication store Si3 NG. For details on newly supported S3 targets, see SEP sesam Support Matrix – Object Storage.
- Debian and Ubuntu supported with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst
- For a full list of supported OS for SEP sesam SEP sesam integration with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst, see SEP sesam Support Matrix – HPE StoreOnce Catalyst.
Installation and upgrades
|You always have to update the SEP sesam Server first before updating the client software. For more information on the SEP sesam software updates, see Updating SEP sesam.|
SEP sesam Jaglion V2 18.104.22.168 was released on 30 June 2022. A direct upgrade from versions 4.4.3.X to version Jaglion V2 22.214.171.124 is supported.
The latest released Jaglion V2 versions are:
In order to meet all required dependencies for the SEP sesam Client packages on SLES 15 SP1 or SP2, it may be required to activate the following package modules prior to SEP sesam installation:
Module-Basesystem Module-Server-Applications Module-Legacy
These modules are part of the installation DVD; in case no online subscription is available, they can be added via:
zypper ar dvd:/Module-Server-Applications DVD-Server zypper ar dvd:/Module-Basesystem DVD-BASE zypper ar dvd:/Module-Legacy DVD-Legacy
- When installing SEP sesam Server on Windows, you can now choose to install a PostgreSQL database that is included with the SEP sesam installer (or use the SQLite that does not require a server to be set up and is used with SEP sesam by default). For details, see Installation on Microsoft Windows.
- Upgrading from SQLite to PostgreSQL is currently not supported, except with the help of SEP support.
- SEP sesam recommends the use of PostgreSQL for complex enterprise environments with many tasks, high performance expectations (due to PostgreSQL's ability to support multiple concurrent writers and read/write at fast speeds), and security and authentication requirements.
For a list of supported Windows versions, see the SEP sesam Support Matrix.
- SEP sesam Server and Client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the upgrade process. This ensures that SEP sesam Clients are fully protected. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free upgrade of SEP sesam to any new release for the duration of the license. See also Updating SEP sesam and Remote Installation of Windows Clients.
Post update task
Version 126.96.36.199 uses the enhanced LIS file format, which increases performance at least 10 times. After updating to version 188.8.131.52, a new full vSphere backup should be performed to allow mounting and attaching VMDKs.
SEP sesam Server requirements
SEP sesam GUI is based on Java and requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
- SEP sesam now supports Java 17.
- 184.108.40.206 Jaglion V2 is the last version of SEP sesam that supports Java 1.8. All later versions, including SEP sesam Server 220.127.116.11 SP1, require at least Java 11. The required Java version depends on the SEP sesam version.
Fixes: SEP sesam Server 18.104.22.168 Jaglion V2 SP1
|Fixed with 22.214.171.124 Jaglion V2 SP1:|
⇒ Several issues with Si3 NG on S3 have been fixed, upgrade to SP1 is highly recommended.
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|126.96.36.199 Jaglion V2 and SP1 known issues:|
End of maintenance and support
Obsolete SEP sesam Server versions
The following versions of SEP sesam are no longer supported:
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Grolar -> October 2021
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon V2 -> December 2020
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon -> September 2020
Discontinued SEP sesam Server OS
The following table lists the last supported version of SEP sesam for specified operating systems. You can continue using the last supported version of SEP sesam on these operating systems, but SEP AG no longer provides updates or fixes for the specified versions.
|Operating system||Last supported version||Release||Notes|
|SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established support for Beefalo V2, where all SEP sesam Beefalo V2 packages (Server, Client, etc.) can be used. However, Beefalo V2 is the last supported SEP sesam release for SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 .|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SEP sesam Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established this support already in Beefalo. This actually means that the last supported SEP sesam Server release for Windows Server 2008 R2 is Beefalo V2.|
|Ubuntu 16.04||188.8.131.52 Beefalo V2||4.4.3 Beefalo V2|
|RHEL 6||184.108.40.206 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 8 »Jessie«||220.127.116.11 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 7 »Wheezy«||18.104.22.168 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar||Version 22.214.171.124 only available for sesam-cli on amd64|
|Windows Server 2008||126.96.36.199 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Windows 7||188.8.131.52 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Ubuntu 14.04||184.108.40.206 Tigon V2||4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|All 32-bit operating systems||220.127.116.11||4.2.2||For some operating systems SEP sesam client is still available in 32-bit.|
|Debian 6 »Squeeze«||18.104.22.168||4.2.2||sesam-cli also available in version 22.214.171.124|
|Windows Server 2003||126.96.36.199||4.2.2|
|Debian 5 »Lenny«||188.8.131.52||4.2.1|
|SLES 11 ≤ SP1||184.108.40.206||4.2.1||Initial SLES 11 Release and Servicepack 1|