Archive:BSR Recovery Pro 4.4.2
|THE CONTENT OF THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED|
|SEP AG has discontinued support for obsolete SEP sesam versions. Instructions are still available for these SEP sesam products, however, SEP AG accepts no responsibility or liability for any errors or inaccuracies in the instructions or for the incorrect operation of obsolete SEP sesam software. It is strongly recommended that you update your SEP sesam software to the latest version. For the latest version of SEP sesam documentation, see documentation home.|
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2022. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
BSR Recovery Pro - Windows Image Backup
The BSR Recovery Pro allows to backup a system image from all system volumes and to use it for Disaster Recovery. A hardware driver adaption during disaster recovery is possible via M.I.R. (Machine Independent Restoration).
The BSR Recovery Pro images can be stored to any SEP sesam managed storage. The backup save sets can be managed and may be used in case of a disaster recovery.
In addition the BSR Recovery Pro solution creates a SEP sesam BSR Pro Bootable disk for every Windows system which may be used in case of a disaster recovery as boot ISO image.
To obtain that ISO image there is the need to generate the ISO image - bootable disk - at customer side (due to Microsoft License restrictions). The BSR ISO Boot image contains the SEP sesam server component to allow a disaster recovery of SEP sesam client or server system.
Necessary steps to set up the regular BSR Recovery Pro task (BSR Windows) and to recover a system:
- Installation and Update with BSR Pro - choose to install BSR Pro on Windows hosts together with SEP sesam.
- Browsing of BSR_Windows: Create a BSR Windows Task for a Client with BSR Pro installed via GUI Client Task Browser
- Backup of BSR Windows: A BSR Windows backup task will backup all the system data necessary for disaster recovery.
- Create BSR Pro Boot-Image: The BSR Pro GUI must be opened on the Windows Client after a successful backup to create the BSR Pro Boot-Image which is mandatory as boot image for disaster recovery. The settings used in the previous BSR Windows backup are stored in this Boot-Image too - which allows to connect to the same SEP sesam server during disaster recovery without manual interactions. A manual setup of the SEP sesam server is only necessary if another SEP sesam server must be connected.
- In case of a disaster recovery (or if a clone of a Windows System is required) this Boot-Image must be used to boot and the BSR GUI will connect to the configured SEP sesam server (netware configuration). A list of all BSR Windows backed up clients will appear and after selecting one client the saveset list appears. After restoring a BSR saveset the Windows host must be rebooted.
- If necessary further Client SEP sesam backup tasks's savesets can be restored afterwards.
- In case of desaster failure the boot image allows to recover the previous backed up system
- If the hardware is changed and driver adaption are required the BSR Recovery Pro 'Machine Independent Restoration' (M.I.R.) automatically adjusts the recovered system.
- Save sets are managed by SEP sesam
- Image based solution with boot image created at customer side - as required by Microsoft license restriction.
- A special backup task in addition to SEP sesam 'all' and 'system_state' tasks which allows to do an automated recovery.
- File system backups and application backups can be restored after a desaster recovery to bring up the system to recently backed up state.
- The 'BSR Recovery Pro' is the new SEP Sesam BSR Windows desaster recovery solution which fully substitutes the old SEP_sesam_BSR_2.3 known as BSR dissimilar. In addition to the old solution this solution provides the creation of bootable disk on customer side with one click -as required by Microsoft License Restrictions!
Note: See SEP sesam BSR Pro – Disaster Recovery for Windows for further details.
The BSR Pro can be installed on any supported Microsoft Windows system with SEP sesam package v. 4.4.2 or higher SEP sesam BSR Recovery Pro - Bare Metal Recovery Windows
Installing BSR Pro
- Install SEP sesam Windows package Server/GUI/Client together with BSR Pro (option).
Configuring BSR Pro
Set up BSR Windows backup task with Gui Client Task Browser.
Migration from obsolete BSR CBMR
The 'BSR Recovery Pro' substitutes the old SEP sesam BSR 2.3 also known as 'BSR dissimilar'. To upgrade to the new BSR Recovery Pro the steps mentioned in Installation to install BSR Recovery pro must executed. Old BSR Windows backup tasks will automatically choose the new BSR Recovery Pro for backup.
Savesets created by old SEP sesam BSR 2.3 can only be restored with the old BSR Windows. Only savesets backed up with new 'BSR Recovery Pro' can be used for disaster recovery with 'BSR Recovery Pro'.
Restoring BSR Pro save sets
- Only data stored on SEP sesam DataStores (File System or Si3 Deduplication) can be accessed via BSR Pro. If the save sets are stored on tape then the data must be migrated to a SEP sesam DataStore before recovery.
The restore of BSR Pro save sets is possible via BSR Pro GUI (e.g. 'Execute BSR Pro Quick-Start') or in case of disaster recovery via BSR boot image application.
- To allow an automated disaster recovery the BSR Recovery Pro bootable disk (ISO image) must be created after a successful BSR Windows backup. This bootable disk is required to restore the image backups in case of disaster recovery! If several Windows systems are set up with similar configuration one bootable disk for the similar systems is sufficient.
- If the Windows operating system is upgraded then another bootable disk should be created.
- Store this bootable disk image file to a network share or to an USB stick and keep the information about the image data access always up to date!