4 4 3:Micro Focus GroupWise Backup
The Novell corporate brand has been acquired by Micro Focus. The Novell GroupWise product name is now Micro Focus GroupWise; however, SEP sesam documentation update (such as names and screenshots) to reflect these changes is being done in a phased manner, therefore Micro Focus GroupWise may still appear under the name Novell GroupWise.
SEP sesam Micro Focus (Novell) client provides efficient data protection for GroupWare environment. It uses the Micro Focus SMDR services and TSA to back up and restore GroupWise. By using the integrated Si3 target deduplication for GroupWise backups, you can benefit from reduced disk capacity and increased overall storage performance.
SEP sesam supports backup at post office, domain and database level. Only one GroupWise object can be backed up in one backup task, however, you can group your GroupWise tasks to a task group and then trigger the start of all tasks belonging to that group with a single event. For details, see Adding a Task to the Task Group.
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported GroupWise versions.
- Make sure that all the prerequisites are met and that you have configured GroupWise with SEP sesam properly: check Micro Focus GroupWise configuration before backing up your GroupWise environment.
Configuring GroupWise backup
To increase overall storage performance, you can use SEP Si3 deduplication store for your GroupWise backups. For details, see Configuring Si3 Deduplication Store.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By Clients, select the Novell GroupWise client and click New Backup Task. The New Backup Task window opens.
- Specify the Source. Click the Browse button (big arrow) and select what you want to back up. By selecting the source, the task type and task name are set automatically.
- After selecting the source, additional tab Micro Focus SMS is shown where you can define a special user access for this task only. This is required in case the global administrator which was set in the client properties has no permission for the GroupWise instance.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate Start. If you want to create a periodic backup, you have to create a schedule for your backup task: Click New Schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules and set up a schedule. For more details, see Creating a Schedule.
- Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it. For general information on backup event configuration, see Creating a Backup Event.
|You can also add your backup task to an existing schedule by double-clicking the backup task, selecting the tab Schedules and adding it to one or more schedules. Additionally, you can group your backup tasks to task groups. For details, see Adding a Task to the Task Group.|
You can view the status of your backup jobs by selecting Last Backup State in the Main Selection window. The backup status overview provides detailed information on the last run of backup jobs, including the task name, start and stop time of the last backup, backup level, data size, throughput, assigned media pool, etc.
|As of 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, you can check the details of your backups online by using new Web UI. For details, see SEP sesam Web UI.|